On 4th December 2017, over 100 girls reported at CIFORD KENYA-Centre, Lailuba for one-week seminar for girls alternative rites of passage. The girls were not allowed to either to go outside or to receive any visitor which is symbolic of being in seclusion when they are circumcised. The girls were trained on several topics such as;
- Reproductive health.
- Early/teenage pregnancy.
- STIs/HIV and AIDs.
- Life skills and self-realization.
- Female circumcision rites
- Meru culture
- Alternatives rites of passage.
- Drugs and substance abuse.
GRADUATIONThe girl's graduation on Friday in attendance were the parents, friends, and sponsors (women who are identified by parents to coach and advice the girls) of the girls. There were dances, songs, and dramas as girls created and promoted awareness on FGM, there were speeches from the girls.
ROAD PROCESSIONOn Friday 8th parents (community members, staffs, and girls) conducted a roadshow along the Muriri-Isiolo road showing confidence and rebuking FGM practice through songs and dances.
on the event
- The leaders and parents are supporting the programmes
- Girls and parents requested for more seminars of this kind.
- Girls who attended the earlier seminar organized by CIFORD attended the graduation ceremony which is clear indication that they appreciate the work.
- Girls turnout more than 100 indicates that the community value the workshop.
- During the seminar, there was much outcry to save the boy child from alcohol and drug abuse.
on the event
Meet Teresa Mwonjaru, a 63 years old woman from Thinyaine, Meru County. A single mother and a granny to 2 young boys and a girl who she was left with after losing her daughter. Teresa was living in a very stressful dark days until when she decided to join Makenaa...
In Kenya, in the recent past the issue of teenage pregnancy has been highlighted and it’s alarming. In Meru, the teenage pregnancy stands at 20%. CIFORD Kenya has focused on the issue of teenage pregnancy where we have a program on supporting the teenage mothers...
The project is a partnership between community and CIFORD Kenya to empower women in Tigania community with sustainable agriculture skills and the adaptation of climate change. This project aimed to train the women in the sustainable agriculture techniques for food...