On 4th December 2017, over 100 girls reported at CIFORD KENYA-Centre, Lailuba for one-week seminar for girls alternative rites of passage. The girls were not allowed to either to go outside or to receive any visitor which is symbolic of being in seclusion when they are circumcised. The girls were trained on several topics such as;
- Reproductive health.
- Early/teenage pregnancy.
- STIs/HIV and AIDs.
- Life skills and self-realization.
- Female circumcision rites
- Meru culture
- Alternatives rites of passage.
- Drugs and substance abuse.
GRADUATIONThe girl's graduation on Friday in attendance were the parents, friends, and sponsors (women who are identified by parents to coach and advice the girls) of the girls. There were dances, songs, and dramas as girls created and promoted awareness on FGM, there were speeches from the girls.
ROAD PROCESSIONOn Friday 8th parents (community members, staffs, and girls) conducted a roadshow along the Muriri-Isiolo road showing confidence and rebuking FGM practice through songs and dances.
on the event
- The leaders and parents are supporting the programmes
- Girls and parents requested for more seminars of this kind.
- Girls who attended the earlier seminar organized by CIFORD attended the graduation ceremony which is clear indication that they appreciate the work.
- Girls turnout more than 100 indicates that the community value the workshop.
- During the seminar, there was much outcry to save the boy child from alcohol and drug abuse.
on the event
Water is life, surviving without water is the most hectic ordeal especially if you are a woman from since the household chore is your burden. Life with no source of water for Jelinda was hell with the nearest water source being 3Km away where she was to fetch...
In Tigania school going adolescent girls misses school during their menstrual period due to lack of sanitary towels. They also don’t have information on the date of the cycle and causes of this. Others are embarrassed and they don’t wish to share the issue...
Business is a sector mostly dominated by tycoons, no one can start and run a business if he/she is not financially stable. Well, that is the belief most people have, but not until you will meet Eunice Nyeera a mother and a woman who believed in herself and regardless...