In 1963 forest covered 10% of land in Kenya and by 2006 that dropped to 1.7%. The Kenya Foresrty working group has estimated that Kenya will lose US$300milllion each year by deforestation from tourism, tea and energy sector.
Forests are basis of water catchments in Kenya. The destruction increases pressure on a population grappling with hunger, water shortage and power shortage. Forests are important for protecting ecological diversity, regulating climate patterns and acting as carbon sinks.
Meru region is one of the major areas which has been negatively impacted by deforestation and with such no sustainable agriculture can be practiced due to depleted sources of water catchment which are trees, CIFORD Kenya then found it necessary to conduct one day seminar to train the community on importance of tree planting and environmental conservation to encourage the community adopt the practice.
On Friday 27th October 2017 community members especially women gathered at CIFORD Kenya training hall ,the arrival and the number increased with time since most of the participants were coming from far with the target number expected to be 85 as per the invitation letters.
- Community health.
- Positive health impacts of environmental conservation.
- Carbon sinks.
- Water shortage.
- Importance of trees to human beings, animals and other trees.
- Tree nursery establishment
- Techniques used when planting trees
- How trees benefit from animals, food crop and human being.
- Advantages of planting trees along the boundary.
- Types of trees to be grown in semi-arid areas.
After the training the women proceeded for a practical plant trees within CIFORD compound where, more than 150 trees were planted with the assistance of staff members.
- Most of community welcomed the consultative meeting with positivity and promised to carry their roles in the community and to carry their duties to assist in environmental conservation.
- Most of the community leaders leant more about CIFORD and congratulated the roles and the assistance they play in the community and promised to support the organization.
- CIFORD Kenya learnt more about the challenges community face apart from water shortages and hunger which broadened the knowledge on how to continue working with the community.
- The community members were ready to learn new techniques of planting trees and the type of trees suitable in the areas.
- Language barrier
- Some members were in hurry due to bad weather.
on the event
In Tigania school going adolescent girls misses school during their menstrual period due to lack of sanitary towels. They also don’t have information on the date of the cycle and causes of this. Others are embarrassed and they don’t wish to share the issue not even...
Business is a sector mostly dominated by tycoons, no one can start and run a business if he/she is not financially stable. Well, that is the belief most people have, but not until you will meet Eunice Nyeera a mother and a woman who believed in herself and regardless...
CIFORD Kenya has indentified a gap in the young women who have unplanned pregnancies and have dropped out of school or other institutions to care for the kids. These women are facing a lot of problems from stigma from family and relatives to poverty as they cannot be...